Can we agree that getting something special in the mail—and I mean fun special not jury duty special—is exciting no matter what age you are? Then why not make someone you love happy not just one time, but stretch that feeling out over a few months by gifting them a subscription box service? There are tons of options out there, but I’ve rounded up five for you here.
clockwise from top left:
- Birchbox is a way to try out beauty products without having to buy them. Each month, you get to try out 4-5 beauty and lifestyle samples that are tailored to your profile. You get everything from niche brands to up-and-coming lines. I’ve tried one and it was ahhh-mazing. Better yet, I’ve yet to hear a friend who gets them and dislikes it. And they make them for guys too! Women’s gift subscriptions start at $30, men’s start at $60.
- Do you have any little girls in your life that would like something similar to Birchbox? I know I do. Enter The Boodle Box, which is more or less the kids equivalent. You can choose an age group (either 6-11 or 12+) and the little lady will receive a box full of age appropriate accessories and beauty products (think nail polish and nail art, lip gloss, hair clips and bracelets). My eight year old would eat this up.
- Whimseybox is a craft box that includes project instructions, supplies, a reusable storage box and a 5×7 art print. To top it off, they have a bustling online community to keep the inspiration flowing and allows users to check out other projects and fun ideas. It kind of sounds like a dream. Gift subscriptions start at $45 for 3 months. UPDATE: After feedback here and via Twitter and email, I’ve learned that Whimseybox is no longer such a fantastic option. There are a lot of complaints about people not receiving boxes and their money being taken anyway. There are also reports that they’re out of business. If a crafty box is up your alley, Darby Smart is a much better choice! Thanks for the feedback, guys!
- With a name like Happy Mail, how could you go wrong? The girls at A Beautiful Mess design and curate these boxes full of fun stationery including cards, note pads, journals and stickers. And $50 (retail value) of stationery for $15 a month sounds fabulous!
- If you have any science-obsessed kids in your lives (ages 8+), Groovy Lab in a Box is an award winning, fun and different way to encourage their curiosity. Each month, they’ll get a box full of everything they need to do hands on science, technology, engineering, and math experiments. There’s even an online component once the kids have finished experimenting. (Cost: about $25/month)
If you’re interested in other experience type gifts, check out my round up of 5 different experience gift ideas (it includes more subscription boxes for kids!).
Do you get a subscription box that you love?