It feels like it’s been so long since I read this book. It was one of those that grab you tightly and pull you in so that you absolutely need to know what happens. You know, the kind that you stay up way past your bedtime reading.
Needless to say, I finished this one early in the month and have actually gotten through a book and a half since then—which is major for me considering the girls are on summer vacation and I’ve felt like I’m getting nothing done lately.
The overall consensus in our virtual book club is that this is a good one. The girls who weighed in all seemed to be just as sucked into the story as I was. My biggest issue was the ending. With all of the drama and twists and turns, I expected a serious wallop at the end. But I was left feeling a little meh.
What did you think of the ending?
Here are the discussion questions we’ll be going through in our Paperback Posse Facebook group. We’d love it if you’d join us, but if Facebook isn’t your thing, feel free to discuss any of them in the comments here…
1) Did you like Ani? Is she someone you would want as a friend? At the beginning she tells us “I’m no plucky heroine.” Do you agree?
2) What are your thoughts on Mr. Larson? Is he a good guy or is he another person to add to the list of people who aren’t what we thought? Do you think he was good for Ani or do you think he caused more damage?
3) How did you feel about Momma FaNelli? From her “fake it ’til you make it” attitude to telling Ani she “was not the daughter she raised” after she found out what happened at Dean’s party, do you think she was a good mother? Why or why not? What values did Dina impart? Were they different from the values she thought she was teaching her daughter?
4) What did you think about the way the book jumped back and forth between Ani’s current life and her freshman year at Bradley? Did learning about Ani’s past help you better understand her current actions? Did your feelings about Ani change as you learned more about her? If so, how?
5) Why do you think Ani is so desperate to be friends with Hilary and Olivia? What sacrifices is she willing to make to keep their friendship? Contrast Ani’s friendship with Hilary and Olivia with her friendship with Nell. Do you think that Nell is a good friend? In what ways?
BONUS QUESTION for those of you who re-read The Catcher in the Rye: Did you notice any parallels between Ani and Arthur and Holden Caulfield?