Do you guys remember those old MySpace surveys that were all the rage back when MySpace was a site people still went to? They used to ask ridiculous questions like “What color are your underwear?” along side questions about your biggest hopes and dreams. They were absolutely ridiculous—and we loved every second of them.
I thought it would be fun to revive those little guys in all of their silly glory and to use them to learn more about some of my favorite handmade business owners. I’ve decided to call this series Meet Your Maker because, well, it makes me laugh and so do these surveys.
Today I’d like to introduce you to Kirsty of So Little Time Co. Kirsty and her husband make seriously adorable wooden wearables. Her fun, bright, cheery work alone makes me want to know more about her, but the mention of chocolate, coconut oil and Community in her answers makes me think she’s my long-lost soul sister.
1. Where do you live?
I live in Calgary Canada at the moment but I’m from Melbourne, Australia.
2. What is your go-to singing in the shower song?
I kinda just make up my own jams in there.
3. What’s your favorite food?
I am totally a bagel addict – that and chocolate. Yep I’ll never say no to that.
4. What is directly to your left right now?
My black and white Ikea cushion.
5. What beauty product do you need to survive?
Coconut oil. Living in this super dry climate, coconut oil seems to be the only thing that keeps my skin moisturized.
6. What’s your favorite TV show?
Community – that show never fails to make me laugh.
7. What’s the last movie you watched?
Veronica Mars. I watched the whole series first and then the movie.
8. What are three of your goals?
To finish writing a book I started last year, to learn how to code WordPress websites and to paint at least once every week.
9. What’s your favorite color?
Anything bright and cheery. How can a girl choose just one?
10. Who is your celebrity crush?
11. What is your biggest guilty pleasure?
Long showers and chocolate. I always feel guilty about both.
12. What are your favorite handmade shops?
On Etsy… Handy Maiden, Marinski Handmades, Datter, Lauren Carney, Cat Rabbit, Kiss the Frog Studio and there are so many more!
13. Describe the ultimate cheap date.
My best friend and I always go to Ikea for $2 hot dogs when we catch up. She is my ultimate cheap date and I love it!
14. What inspires you?
I’m inspired by my husband who always motivates me to keep going, my family and friends encouragement and strength, a good wilderness hike and coffee – it always gets my mind working!
15. Finish this sentence: My momma always told me… if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.
16. What’s your favorite children’s book?
There are so many. Hairy Maclary, The Faraway Tree, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and anything Dr. Seuss.
17. What are you afraid of?
Not much. I occasionally freak myself out about the dark but that’s probably one to many thriller kind of movies.
18. What is your favorite thing to make that’s not related to your business?
I LOVE making things, something new everyday. Sometimes it’s business related, some days it’s painting, some days it’s making stuffed toys and some days it’s pie!
19. Tell me five things not many people know about you.
1. I was born in South Africa.
2. I am a travel junkie. I’ve been to more countries than my years of life.
3. I’m an awful cook but I make a mean strawberry cream pie.
4. I’m a stationery addict and have WAY too many notebooks, pens etc.
5. I’m a novice Spanish speaker. After spending a month learning in Mexico, my husband and I occasionally speak what we know to practice. I’m still working on it though—got a way to go before I’m fluent!
If you’re interested in being featured in a future installment of Meet Your Maker (or if you know someone fabulous that should be featured!) send me an email at email@example.com. I also do a series on small business owning mommas, where ladies share how they make running a business and a family work.
And if you have any questions you think should be added to the list, let me know in the comments!